MaharaBites online training
Updated for 2014 - for Mahara 1.8+
- New HD (high-definition) screen capture movie tutorials (English and Spanish)
- Official Moodle Partner 'Certification of Completion' at the end
- Fast and efficient graphics (courses run quickly)
- Downloadable .pdf resources
- Forums and other collaboration options (English, Spanish and Greek)
- Case-studies of real-world usage
- Mahara practice site - safe area for experimenting
- Lots of Quizzes and self-test questions
- All main Mahara features covered
- Automated "Certificate of Completion" from HRDNZ (Moodle Partner)
- Automated Open Badge
MaharaBites is a structured programme of eight self-paced Moodle courses which you can access for a period of eight weeks. The course is not training-led, you can go at your own speed, but it is supported through the course Forums. Each course contains approximately 2-3 hours work, although this varies depending on your experience with Mahara and how much extension work you wish to complete
Designed for 'just in time' training, for busy teachers needing flexibility, and those new to Mahara.
- The programme is support by Miriam Laidlaw (e-learning consultant and Mahara specialist with HRDNZ Moodle Partner) and co-developed by Maryel Mendiola (Spanish), Anna Krassa (Greek) and Stuart Mealor (well known international Moodle and e-learning figure).
Mahara Bites fee is just NZ$299+GST per person. At this time we are able to offer a discount to a special rate of NZ$249+GST but places are limited - so book early to avoid disappointment!
You can register for this course using the "Register Now" link on the Front Page.
The MaharaBites course starts on the following dates:
- 1st February
- 1st April
- 1st June
- 1st August
- 1st October
In covering the content, each course includes:
- Printable reference material
- Multimedia (flash) tutorials
- Forums and chat sessions (multi-language)
- Practical teaching examples
- FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Individual practice exercises
- Course Glossaries
- Optional group activities
- Tips and tricks
- Selected relevant links
- Case-studies of Mahara use
- Recommended further reading
MaharaBites is unique in a number of respects:
- It has a focus on how to use Mahara features in teaching.
- The course development team is international and MaharaBites has been written to be accessible for speakers of English as a second or other language.
Forums are in a variety of languages (English, Spanish, Greek)
- MaharaBites is designed to run well even over very slow or limited internet connections, and on older computers.
- All movie tutorials have Closed Captions in English, Spanish and Greek for improved accessibility.
Course content outline
- Course 1, First steps, navigation and Profiles
Within Mahara staff and users are able to share details through a variety of standard profile fields and optional profile information fields. Week 1 covers the fundamentals:
- About Mahara
- Concepts and navigation
- Preferred Name
- Student ID
- Postal address and contact phone numbers
- Skype, MSN, Yahoo & Jabber name
- Profile Icons images
- Course 2, Blogs and social networking
A comprehensive blogging tool is provided in Mahara, where blogs and blog postings are considered 'artifacts' and may be added to a View. Mahara provides a social networking facility where users can create and maintain a list of Friends within the system. ePortfolio owners choose whether other users can add them to their Friends list automatically or by request and approval.
- Create blog posts using a WYSIWYG editor
- Attach files to posts
- Embed images into postings
- Configure whether or not Comments may be received on their blog
- Create draft postings for later publishing
- Social networking use
- Course 3, Files and file repository
Mahara includes a file repository which allows users to:
- Create folder and sub folders structures
- Upload multiple files quickly and efficiently
- Give each file a Name and Description
- Manage their file allocation Quota
- When uploading a file users must agree to a configurable Copyright disclaimer
- Extract .zip, .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 from within the files area
- Course 4, Resume builder
Mahara includes a resumé builder which allows users to create digital CV’s by entering information into a variety of optional fields including:
- Contact and personal information
- Employment and education history
- Certifications, accreditation's and awards
- Books and publications, professional memberships
- Personal, academic and work skills and
- Personal, academic and career goals
- Course 5, Views and Collections
Views are one of the most powerful elements of Mahara. This course explores how views are created and used with 'Collections':
- Understanding artifacts
- RSS feeds
- Profile information
- Controlling "Who sees what?"
- Course 6, Administration
Administration of a Mahara site is something often carried out by just one or two staff. However, these factors impact strongly on staff and users, and so here we explore the wider administration settings of Mahara and understand the general usage of these options:
- Language packages and themes
- Virus protocol
- Session and account lifetimes
- Authentication methods
- Institution setup
- Core page editor
- Main Menu editor
- Course 7, Moodle and Mahara
Mahara provides a single-sign on capability that allows users, at the option of the administrator, to be automatically logged in to both their Mahara and Moodle accounts by providing a username and password at only one of these sites. Moodle can also import and export data to Mahara, and this week explores 'how and why?:
- Linking Mahara and Moodle (SSL)
- Exporting from Moodle to Mahara
- Importing from Mahara to Moodle
- Course 8, Everything else!
This is a final 'catchall' week - for small items that do not fit neatly into the earlier weeks. This week also allows participants to revisit earlier topics with the benefit of hindsight, to set-up and maintain networking links, to share end-of-course comments and feedback
- Content is constantly being revised!
*This outline is subject to change as Moodle changes and we update the content.