Need a Theme for your Moodle site?
Something that works well on desktop and mobile browsers?
Or maybe your learners are using the Moodle Mobile App and your want it branding to your organisation?
We do both!
Email helpdesk[AT]hrdnz.com with your requirements
Updated for Moodle 3.x+
What do others say having taken this course...
"Great course - I feel like an expert (sort of) now!" (Anonymous feedback)
If you are interested in Moodle Theme development, but do not have a background in development, experience with php, and experience with Moodle Themes, then this MoodleBites Theme Design is for you! It will give you a gentle introduction to Moodle Theme development, and provide a good grounding should you wish to progress further.
You can PRE-REGISTER now for this course - just send an email to helpdesk[AT]hrdnz.com and we will send you an email update when the dates are finalised. Likely 1st June or 1st July.
This course is 3 weeks in duration, asynchronous, and completely online. Each week contains approximately 2-4 hours work, although this varies depending on your experience with Moodle and themes in general, and how much extension work you wish to complete
The course is focused on adapting existing Themes (standard Themes and plugin Themes). After successfully completing this course:
- You will understand how Moodle Themes really work.
- You will be able to customise existing Themes.
- You will be able to use simple debugging tools and understand important aspects of the Moodle Theme development and testing process.
There are no live sessions, but participants are encouraged to participate in forums and to share their practical work for others to see and learn from.
Your lead-facilitator for this course is Gareth Barnard, well-known in the Moodle community for his outstanding contributions to Moodle including:
- Facilitator of the Moodle.org Theme Forum
- Moderator of the Moodle.org Courses and Course formats Forum
- Maintainer of the Essential Theme - THE most popular Moodle Theme plugin anywhere - used on more than 10,000 Moodle sites worldwide
- Developer of Campus Theme (3,000+ downloads)
- Developer of Shoehorn Theme - based on Bootstrap 3
- Developer of Shoelace Theme (one of the most advanced Themes ever created for Moodle)
- Developer of Theme Selector Block (great for developers/demo sites)
- Developer of Grid course format plugin (4,000+ downloads)
- Developer of Collapsed Topics course format plugin (4,000+ downloads)
- Developer of Columns format course format plugin (used on 200+ sites)
MoodleBites Theme Design is US$299 per person. At this time we are able to offer a discount to a special rate of US$199 but places are limited - so book early to avoid disappointment!
International fee includes credit card fees and currency exchange fees (and no additional tax) - there are no hidden charges.
If you wish to translate this value to your local currency please visit: http://www.xe.com/
All invoices outside of New Zealand are in US Dollars (Euro invoices available by special request).
You can register for the course using the "Register Now" link on the Front Page.
This is a technical course, designed for people with interest in development and Moodle Administrators. This course is not suitable for the average Teacher using Moodle.
Pre-requisites: Participants should have a basic understanding of HTML, and be familiar with Moodle.
- The course will start with a guide on how to setup your environment for developing Themes including installing a smart web-server and Moodle site. Please note that using a MoodleCloud site will not be sufficient for this course, you will need to be able to install or access a Moodle test site.
In this course you will learn the basics of Moodle Themes including:
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3
- Week 4
There is no need to use a specific Operating System, or editor. The course is generic on these points and aims at basic concepts that will be present in any OS or development environment. Effort has been made to ensure that the practical tasks and examples given are generally applicable. Anyone attending this course however will need to become familiar with their own OS and editors. We cannot answer in-depth questions specific to your specific choice of OS.
Please note this course outline is subject to change to keep pace with Moodle development.